Socialising and habituating your puppy properly are the most important responsibilities of dog ownership. What a puppy learns in the first 16 weeks will form the blueprint for the rest of its life, so all new experiences must be pleasurable, positive and fun for the pup.
Socialisation and habituation, in a nutshell, is teaching the puppy how to deal with different experiences and helping it to take life in its stride. The club’s ‘Lifeskills for Puppies’ Course does just that.
It is important that socialisation and habituation takes place between the ages of 0 – 16 weeks, so it is essential to book your puppy course even before you collect your puppy.
The courses are 5 weeks in duration and take place on Thursday evenings from 7.10pm – 7.50pm at Brasted Village Hall, Brasted, Kent and are run regularly throughout the year. Like our other courses and classes, all breeds of dog are welcome.
The course costs just £40.00 and places must be booked in advance. The course is for puppies between 8 to 18 weeks of age. Places are limited to 5 puppies per course so early booking is advisable.
Many people believe that socialisation is simply letting your puppy meet other dogs! There is so much more to socialising a puppy, of which meeting and mixing with other dogs is only a small part.
The course content includes:-
- Building confidence
- Controlled socialisation with people
- Controlled socialisation with adult dogs
- Advice on ‘play biting’ problems, house training, jumping up
- Teaching the ‘Family Rules’ (not the old outdated Dominance Theory)
- Introducing the concept of sharing to prevent guarding issues
- Teaching the puppy how to deal with frustration!
- Teach the important life skill of self control!
- Teaching patience, calmness and choice
- Care and Welfare
- Info on the legal requirements of dog ownership
- Introduction to training theory and practise using clicker training
- How to avoid separation issues
- and much, much more………
If you would like further information or you would like to book your place on a forthcoming Lifeskills for Puppies course please contact Kaye Scott on 01959 575129
Thursday 16th January 2020 – 1 space available